A Buyer's Guide to Hand Chain Hoists
Why should you use a hand chain hoist?
- Portability is the principal reason for use of hand chain hoists over powered hoists.
- Initial cost is another important reason why hand chain hoists are often chosen over powered hoists.
- Hand chain hoists provide excellent spotting capability.
- They need little maintenance.
- Repairability for premium models is excellent.
- Flexibility of operation.
- A hand chain hoist has no electrical components to cause sparks or arcing in explosive classified areas.
When should you use a hand chain hoist?
- When electric or air power is not readily available.
- When portability and flexibility are the key concern.
- When initial cost is an overriding concern.
- When precise spotting of the load is required.
- When long lifts are not required.
- When the inherent spark resistance of a hand chain hoist is called for in an explosion hazard area. Other spark resistant features such as bronze hooks, bronze wheels, stainless load chain, and aluminum or bronze hand chain are often required to meet specific requirements.
- For temporary uses such as installations, portable job boxes, etc.
Which hand chain hoist should you use?
- Use an economy model when initial cost is important but repairability and high efficiency are not.
- Use a premium model when dependability and quality are important considerations.
- Use one with a rated capacity no greater than the structure on which it will be placed.
- Use one with a capacity sufficient for the job at hand.
- Use one with an effort required, that is suitable for the operator.
General Hand Chain Hoist Selection Tips
- Warning: Sometimes people attempt to convert hand chain hoists into electric or air operation. This should never be done without specific authorization of the manufacturer. This practice is almost universally dangerous because this hand-operated equipment has not been designed for continuous high-speed operation.
- Premium hand chain hoists differ from the economy models in the amount of machining done, and quality of materials used in the manufacturing process. Better materials and more machine work have a higher cost but produce a more efficient and reliable hoist.
CAUTION: These tips are provided as a starting point in the selection process and are not universally applicable.
Please consult our experts for the solution to your specific application problem.
Why should you buy a hand chain hoist from Ace Industries?
- Best selection of hoists from all major manufacturers insures that you will get the best hoist for your application
- Most complete inventory available insures that you get quick delivery of the hoist you need
- Most competitive price is guaranteed.
- Best technical and application advice to insure that your electric chain hoist purchase will meet your need
- Same day shipments
- No labor charges for changes to lifts and most other normal modifications
- Best after sale service. We are a warranty repair center and authorized master parts depot for all of the brands that we represent.
- Ace satisfaction guarantee*
*Ace satisfaction guarantee: If you are dissatisfied with any item purchased from Ace, that is a normal stock item for Ace, you may return it for full refund or credit at any time within 10 days following shipment. Items must be returned prepaid, and a return goods authorization number must be issued by Ace and be included with the return. Returned items must be complete, undamaged and in new condition. Stock items modified by Ace to fit a particular application such as changing chain lift, are not covered by this satisfaction guarantee and are subject to a reasonable restocking charge.